We had another doctor's appointment on Monday. Our visit was more of a follow up from our first visit. Our doctor, who is amazing, did another ultra sound and walked us through everything that is going on. Nothing looked worse but nothing looked better.
He showed us her brain and how it failed to split. He also said that her brain development is complete so there is no way that her brain could separate later on. He spent a little more time looking at her heart He said there were some issues with her aorta and it looked like there was a small hole in her heart which concerened him. He couldn't guarantee us that she would die but he also couldn't guarantee us that she would live. He did say that 60-80% of these type of cases end in death before the baby reaches it's due date.
After much discussion and prayer, Benji and I decided to forgo the amniocentesis. The amnio would tell us 100% if she had Trisomy 13 or 18. We just felt that Gracie's state is already so fragile that we don't want to do anything to jeopordize her life. Since there is no treatment for Trisomy we just decided that we would have her tested once she is born.
It was almost surreal to be sitting there with our doctor talking about the fatality of it all and then to see her on the screen moving her hands and using her little fingers to scratch her face. At this moment she is full of life and that is what we have to cling to. For the past two weeks we have been daily asking the Lord to help me feel Gracie's movements and God has answered our prayers. Since our very first prayer, I have felt Gracie kick on a daily basis. It is mainly at night once I settle into bed. I think she's a night owl! We are so thankful that God has anwered this specific prayer for us.
As silly as this seems I think that I was overwhelmed last night with the reality of the situation. For the past two weeks I've been trying to process medically everything is going on with Gracie. I been wondering how all this will play out and how much waiting we will have ahead of us. But last night as I rocked Caroline to sleep singing 'Jesus Loves Me' it hit me, I will never get to do that with Gracie. We are losing a daughter that we will never know. We will never get to see her gummy grin, or watch her learn how to crawl, or even give her a bath. When we leave that hospital it will just be me and Benji.
The thought of all this is overwhemling and feels unbearable. I find myself asking God if I am strong enough to face these things. I certantly don't feel that I am. Even as I sit here, I cannot find the words to describe how helpless I feel. The pain has only just begun and I know it will get worse.
Our only hope is that God will hear the cries of His people and save our little Gracie. We continue to pray for a miracle because that is our only hope. God is our only hope.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Gracie Update
Posted by Rebekah Baker at 7:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
"In the day when I cried out, You answered me, and made me bold with strength in my soul." Ps 138:3
We will continue to beg our Father.
We love you.
We love you and are praying with all our hearts.
We are thinking of you daily and praying for you each time you come to mind. I wish I could be there and you a big hug!
Heidi C.
I'm sending prayers your way. I hope that God will meet you in the darkness and show you His face.
Love,
Bonnie Bird
I just read your blog, forwarded to me by Rachel McGinnis. Our Chloe is in her class at CDA. I am praying for you and your family! What a gift sweet Gracie is from our Father. She is perfect in His eyes! Praying for His miracles on this side of heaven. I'm also forwarding your blog to my neighbor Christy Lafferty who has crossed this path before you. Her husband Patrick is a pastor at PCPC. Praying for you.
Neisha
I am praying for your family as you walk this journey. Just know that prayers are being lifted up for you from all over the country.
Continue to be praying for you guys ! Rebakah you are SOOOOO strong.even more than you realize.I've always known that about you.Gracie is in God's hands and you are somewhat helpless.But,who better to be in control than Him? Right? So glad that you're getting to feel her kick.Keep hanging in there taking it one day at a time.Don't overwhelm yourself too much about tomorrow.Of course,be prepared and knowledgeable.I mean just make it your goal every day just to get through that day.You can :) Love from here in TN !!!!
we are praying for you guys. and i believe God will hear the prayers of the faithful - whatever that means for your daughter. He hears you, us, everyone who is crying out to Him
in Him,
katie beall
honolulu, hawaii
Dearest Benji and Rebekah,
Stephanie Duke let us know about Gracie. Because we always think of you guys so fondly even though our time with you in Dallas (DTS) was brief, we are especially grieved with you. We faithfully pray for you and Gracie (and Caroline) as the days go on. May your faith in Jesus Christ reign in your hearts as you forge ahead, seeking hope and courage.
love you,
Elisha (and Tim) Dyer
You are so loved. Praying daily.
Hi. I am a friend of Ginny Moore. I have some friends in the Houston area who are going through a similar situation (Trisomy 21/Downs) and heart issues. Their baby is still in the womb. If you'd like me to try to connect you with them, just leave a comment on my blog. I can get you their information.
May God comfort you as you "walk through the valley of the shadow of death". My prayers are with you.
We were told of your story and want you to know we are lifting your beautiful Gracie before our loving, merciful God. Praying all this pressure and trial presses you into the arms of God. We are pastors in Kansas and will have our church pray for you as well. We know what kind of God we serve. Praying for a supernatural move on your behalf. "We cry out, God!"
Pastor Kurt and JoLynn Coleman
As I am sure others have, I have shed tears, after reading your Blog. Thank you for being so open with your feelings. Your comments have touched me deeply. Rebecca, don't forget that God is Good! He loves you and Benji, Caroline and your precious Gracie. I truly beleive God has already touched lives through Gracie. Like you and many others we are asking for a miracle for Gracie, while all the while praying that his will be done. We are daily praying for God to give you the strength that you don't think you have to get through this. All our love.
Hey Benji & Rebekah,
Thanks for keeping us updated on your blog. We've been praying for you guys daily, and our small group and my moms group at church are also praying for your family.
We can't wait to see you guys next week!
Love
Mandy
Rebekah, I am a friend of Mandy Holmes. As a mother myself, my heart breaks for you as you endure such a trial. I can't imagine the helplessness you are feeling. I pray for Gracie...for her healing. I know her days are planned and know that her precious life is touching someone in TN...helping even me to see my selfishness, and to appreciate a day that I might not otherwise acknowledge as a blessing. As I type, "Untitled Hymn" is playing on your website...so I pray for Gracie..."cry to Jesus, cry to Jesus, cry to Jesus and live" precious one. May the God of all comfort be everpresent with you today and the days to come.
Love in Christ,
Lori Raches
Jackson, TN
I am praying you will get the chance to hold, rock and sing Jesus Loves Me to your baby girl. The baby has come so far already. What a strong baby....moving so strong despite her health issues. I lost a baby at 4 months...never got to feel him/her move. Our baby's problems kept her from living past 10 weeks....I had a D& C at 15+weeks. So, to me it seems positive that Gracie is strong enough to wiggle around. We are praying.
Velma
PS
I saw Alicia and she tells me how strong you are. Keeping it together at work and all. May the Lord continue to strengthen you with HIs faithful right arm.
Post a Comment