Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Lord is teaching me contentment. To be honest, being a mom is a lot harder than I ever dreamed. Back in the day, when I would day dream about being a mom, I thought it was going to be this blissful experience where there was only laughter and total and complete obedience(the first time asked:) However, I've been at this mom thing for bout 4 years now and I think there is still this small part of me that thinks if I can figure out just the right formula then my days will be easy and carefree. While holding on to this tiny, improbable hope it has been hard for me to fully except this season I am in with small children.
The Lord has been showing me that once I give up all those expectations, most unrealistic, then I will be able to find joy in this season..... in my girls. I have come to embrace that I will mop up some kind of liquid after each meal, that my house will be filled little girls laughing together usually followed by little girls screaming at each other, and that my house will never look fully 'picked up'. Learning to let go of the unimportant and relish in the necessity is my new motto. The necessities? Learning to love my girls well and raising them to be lovers of Jesus. Slowing down to enjoy time together and experiencing the excitement of childhood. Focusing on hearts and not behaviors. And one of my favorites, watching sisters discover they are friends.

Anna Laura loves it when Caroline pushes her in the swing

Perfecting bubble blowing skills

climbing to new heights

figuring out you can climb up the slide

drinking from the hose

experimenting with mommies make up

delighting in the results

love her!

finding sisters' sunglasses

painting a bird house

getting dirty

bird watching


insisting on wearing Caroline pj's around the house

2 comments:

Valerie Bowman said...

"Watching sisters discover they are friends" is one of my favorites too. I think I treasure it alot since it's something I never experienced. Love it!

Karen said...

Love your words. Love this post.