Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Bird Whisperer

Last Saturday Benji noticed a small bird hanging from the roof of our front porch. At first he just thought the bird was chillin', relaxin', actin' all cool (shout out to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air), but he soon realized that the bird was stuck. It turned out that the baby bird was hanging from one leg and kept hopelessly trying to fly its way out of its current predicament.

With much hesitation, Benji grabbed a ladder, suited up in our yellow cleaning gloves, and began a rescue mission. You see, Benji was a little paranoid about trying to help this baby bird. This baby bird was one of many baby birds that were sitting in a nearby tree with their mother. Benji was afraid of becoming a part in the reenactment of the movie The Birds. However, Benji over came his fear and rescued the sweet little bird. The bird did suffer some injuries, a broken leg. Because of this the bird could not fly so we put him behind some bushes to recoup. Later that night Benji broke the water main that was behind those bushes and flooded the yard. So, it appears that we rescued the bird only to drown him later that night. I guess that's just the circle of life! ( We actually looked for the bird before the flood and we couldn't find it. We're thinking that if flew away:)









By now I am assuming that many of you are thinking, 'Yeah, Yeah, where are the pictures of Caroline!' So, here's a little update on her. She had her first big outing on Friday night. Our Sunday School class was getting together for dinner, so we decided to join them. We knew the time frame would be kind of tight but we decided to try anyways. Caroline did great until the clock struck 7:30. That was her scheduled time to eat but we thought we could hold her off for about 30 minutes (sometimes she'll keep sleeping). We ended up having to get our food to go, but it was so much fun getting out and socializing with adults.

Right now we are struggling to keep Caroline's head from getting flat on one side. She definitely favors her right side and it is starting to show. This week has been a relentless effort to get her to nap on the much more rounded side. My fear is that she will have to wear one of those helmets that shapes their head the way it is suppose to be. If it comes to that my only hope is that the helmets come in pink!

Today, Caroline is a month old. She has been such a joy to Benji and me. She has definitely "woken up" and is quick to let us know when she is upset. We don't mind though. It allows us to see little glimpses of her personality.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bek, you are soooo funny! I truly did enjoy the bird story, but you were correct--I was wondering when I was going to see and hear about Caroline! :) Glad ya'll are doing well. Give Caroline a kiss for me and tell the "bird whisperer" hello. I applaud his efforts.
Love you lots!!

Karen said...

Hah!!! The "bird whisperer"...that's hilarious!!! I was actually going to rename Benji "Bird Dundee" but that's not nearly as funny!:)

I LOVE the new pics...thanks Bek! I am glad that you guys are getting out and enjoying her so much...can't wait to meet her and snuggle!

Anonymous said...

What bright eyes that Caroline has! :) I am sure you know this with all the other mommies out there but Eli tended to favor one side to sleep on too so at naptime the nurse recommended rolling a blanket and putting it on that side so he couldn't sleep that way. Of course, baby has to be supervised! She is a doll!

Jada Scruggs said...

I love my little Caroline - she is such a joy!! Thanks for coming to visit yesterday:)