Today we had another appointment to check on Gracie. We actually got to see Dr. Rinehart so we were really excited about that. He took a good look at Gracie to see how she was doing. He said that the holoprosencepahly is still present and he still suspects a hole in the upper part of her heart. He also said that it looks like she might have only one valve going into the top of the heart when usually your suppose to have two. Her cleft is still pretty significant. But, we saw a nose. That's right a tiny little nose was visible on her profile. It delighted my heart to see it! Then he started measuring her belly, head, and femur bones. That's when we got the bad news. He believes that Gracie has stopped growing. He can't say he's 100% sure but at our last visit(4 weeks ago) she was 2 weeks behind developmentally. Today she was 4 weeks behind developmentally. He said that usually when a baby stops growing that the end is typically near. Obviously, we are still in a waiting game but he said that a lack of growth significantly increases the risk of an early death. He wanted to see me back in two weeks but we will be in TN for Christmas. He told us to go ahead and go....that even if we stayed it wouldn't make any difference for Gracie. We just need to be ready at any moment to come back to Dallas if I should stop feeling movements. For some reason, I feel that he thinks that Gracie will not survive too much longer.
Of course this is not what we were wanting to hear. Obviously we wanted to hear that things were looking better or that she was about the same. We have been praying for the Lord to give us some kind of sign as to how he might work in this situation. When I saw Gracie's little nose I thought , "Okay, maybe this is our sign." I didn't know noses could form this late in the pregnancy. But, then we learned about her not growing and I felt that God was telling me something completely different than before. I don't want to lose hope but right now I feel so defeated. I know that God could still work a miracle in little Gracie but how do I know that what we learned today isn't God preparing us for what's to come. I guess it all boils down to my trust in the Lord.
I always knew that this was a possiblity but now that it's here I am scared. Scared of what the next couple of weeks could hold. Scared of decisions that we will have to make that no parent should ever have to think about.
Here are a few ways that you can specifically pray for us:
1. A miracle for Gracie
2. That Gracie will start growing
3. That God will prepre us for what's to come
4. That I will continue to feel her kick each day
Thanks again for your prayers.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Gracie's Appointment
Posted by Rebekah Baker at 5:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Rebekah, know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I would love to get together with you while you are in Jackson, if you are up to it. No pressure at all -
Love,
Lesley
Oh Bek, I am so sorry. My heart is so heavy. Even so, I am still praying for a miracle. I know you are scared. That is normal. Whatever is to come, you know that God is with you, and so are the prayers of many who love you. I look forward to seeing ya'll in a few weeks! I love you lots and lots!
Rebekah and Benji, As I look at this screen through tears, my heart is so torn for you guys. Praising God for Gracie's nose. Who would have thought we would recognize God in a little nose. How precious! On the other end, I'm sad for you both. Sad that there is nothing we can do to comfort both of your hearts. You are right...only God can give you the grace to face each day. My prayer is that you experience His lavishing grace daily. We love you and are on our knees for your whole family!
My dear friends. My heart cries out for you. The miracle, you guys. Your strength, perseverance and faith are a testimony to the Lord that we serve. And praise Him for your testimony. Thank you with all of my heart, val
My dear friends. My heart cries out for you. The miracle... you guys. Your strength, perseverance and faith are a testimony to the Lord that we serve. And I praise Him for your testimony. Thank you with all of my heart, val
(Valerie Kirkley)
Praying for sweet baby Gracie.
We are praying for you guys.
James and I are continuing to lift you all up in prayer and we love you all.
~LeEtta
My prayers are with you and your family!
Dear Rebekah & Benji,
I am speechless, which if you knew me would really make sense to you! Even while your hearts are so veery understandably heavy you have the presence of mind to see God & his goodness. Thank you for your testimony! We are continuing to lift up your whole family in prayer. Bond family- from CDA
"The Lord is good, A stonghold in the day of trouble, And He knows those who take refuge in Him." Nahum 1:7
Praying for you and little, precious Gracie.
Lord, we beg for a miracle, but we rejoice in our hope...everlasting life in You.
Lori Raches
Jackson, TN
I am praying for you and Gracie and your sweet family.
Rebekah,
If you could see me right now while reading this and your prayer request...I am sobbing like a big baby...You guys would def laugh at me...I have always been a crier!!!My heart is broken for you and Benji...I will specifically pray for the 4 request you have made...and more specifically that Gracie will continue to kick (maybe even so hard it hurts)...haha...I know feeling her kick and move comforts your heart...I am committed to pray for these things....
Love you guys...
Andy Smith
Post a Comment