Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Heavy Heart

On Monday Benji and I had the opportunity to sit and talk with the director of the NICU at the hospital that we'll be delivering at. I was nervous going into the appointment. I didn't know what to expect. I was praying that our doctor would be very knowledgable but also very personal and compassionate. (Sometimes in the medical field you have to settle for one or the other) However, Dr. Nystrum was both. Not only was he very familiar with Trisomy cases and with Gracie's brain disorder, but he was so kind and gentle with his words.
There was so much that was said so I will try to sum it up as best as possible. Since we have not done an amnio to confirm a chromosomal defect(Trisomy) there is a possibility that Gracie could be suffering from that or from just the brain disorder. However, because of the severity of the brain disorder both are extremly fatal. So no matter what is plauging our little one, her outcome is still the same. Dr. Nystrum seemed to think that since Gracie had made it this far he seemed confident that she would probably survive until the due date and that she would probably survive the birth. We were encouraged to here this. We, of course know that there is always the possiblity of something happening before then, but just knowing that we might get to meet her and spend what little time we might have with her is comforting to us. He also walked us through some of the complications that Gracie would face if she entered this world alive. He told us of different secenarios that would possibly take place that would lead to her death. That probably sounds disturbing to most of you, but as her mother I want to know what will happen to her and what she will feel or (hopefully not feel). He also let us know that we are totally in charge of all the decisions once she is born. This brings all sorts of decisions for Benji and me to make about the care she receives. These are hard decisions to face so we ask that you pray for us as we prayerfully seek God's wisdom in that area.
I wouldn't say that my hope is crushed but I would say that I am truely facing the reality that Gracie will die. We are still praying for God to heal her and we still acknowledge that He can but I am just starting to feel that that may not be what God has in store for Gracie.
The past week has been really hard for me as I have come to face the reality of the situation. I've always known that Gracie dying is a possibility but as my due date creeps closer it seems even more real. I remember adding something to my calendar for the month of April and it hit me. On that day, in April, something will have happened by then. Our lives will have forever been change. Will I even be able to function at that point?
As fear settles in I have to keep reminding myself that the Lords is near. Yes I am terrified of what's to come. Terrified of labor, terrified that Gracie might not make it through labor alive, terrified that we'll have such a short time with her, terrified of slowly watching her slip away, and most of all, terrified of saying goodbye. A sweet friend who lost her little girl a year ago to Trisomy reminded me that all I have to get through is today. That when those terrifying moments come, God's mercies for those moments will be there. So I try not to let my mind wander, but it's hard.
So, with a heavy hearts, we press on. We'll continue this journey for the next couple of months. And when we are at the end of the road, we'll turn the corner and continue on our next journey. One marred by sadness. One of complete brokenness, but also one of healing.

"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,For his compassions never fail.They are new every morning;Great is your faithfulness. "Lamentations 3:21-23

20 comments:

Wade's World said...

I am praying for God's hand to be on you and your family as you walk this road.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Walking with you and praying for you on this road you travel. My heart is heavy for the burden you carry. Asking the Lord to keep your mind and heart close to Him and that His perfect love will cast out the fears you face, moment by moment. May nothing steal your joy that you share with Gracie as she lives right now, safe with you and in Gods plan.
He is with you always.

Love and Prayers, Laurie

Crazy May Days said...

Oh Rebekah and Benji... It is with heavy hearts that we too prayerfully lift this up to God for you. We pray that prayers of healing wash over you. I know it might begin to feel like you are alone in all of your pain but please please remember to lean on those here to catch you. My new prayer is for at least several precious moments with your Gracie so that you can hold that sweet little peanut that has been dancing across your belly for all this time. So much about your family she already knows. Your heartbeat is her comfort, she can chase after her big sister when you run after Caroline and her daddy's voice can cause such joyess movements. So while her time here may be limited- what beautiful moments she has shared already with your family. She knows you.

much like...

He knows Gracie and he will love and cherish her all the way home.

Sending so much love your way and still praying for a Gracie miracle!
The Mays

Anonymous said...

oh Benji and Rebekah...my heart feel so heavy and hurts for you too. i can't help but be inspired by you though...inspired by your faith and constant hope in God. Know that there is a reason for Gracie's life and she is alive and well as we speak and serving as a testiment to God's Glory, regardless of how short the term of her life may be. She was not created in vain, rather out of love...God's love in its purest form and for that all of God's people can be grateful and inspired by. I realize that my words cannot lift the weight of the burden you carry but I hope they one day will provide you some form of comfort knowing that your struggles have some how managed to provide hope to so many. That lowly average Christians have decided to step up and renew their faith in the name of your beautiful unborn daughter and that lives have been forever changed for the better simply by witnessing your faith and being exposed to the realness and human nature of the difficult journey your family now faces. I am now a changed person because of you and am forever indebted to your glory and personal journey. I am a firm believer in miracles and have personally witnessed a miracle from God in restoring life in my cousin by providing her 2 double lung transplant in her short 18 years of life...but He gave her the ungivable, the impossible and sustained her life while waiting on life suppport for 6 months when she was given a maximum of 6 weeks to live waiting on that 2nd pair of lungs. And she made it and she lived life freely and wholly and fully for a period of 2 years before her passing. 2 wonderful and glorious years we will cherish with her for a lifetime and I am ferverently praying for God to perform a miracle in Gracie's life right now. I am praying and will not stop. If God wills it to be so, it will happen and I will never give up hope on that. Love to you all.

Love,
Bonnie Bird

Ginny said...

I am so sorry for the news you guys received this week and just the despair I hear in your words. I'm sorry I haven't called this week but you've been in my heart and on my mind, as always. I will call you Friday, if you feel like talking. Love you dear friend.

laurie said...

I am sure it was hard but healthy to write these words tonight, but thank you! Thank you for sharing your fears so we can go before our Loving God and plead on your behalf. As I was reading tonight, this scripture jumped off my page...I pray that God's Word will continue to encourage you and sustain you:

"The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear, or be dismayed" -Deut. 31:8

love you all, the vinson fam

jwm said...

Dear Benji and Rebekah,

It was hard to read this, though I know so much harder for you to write it... I am so sorry for the news you received from this NICU doctor, but thankful that he gave you the information you needed with the sensitivity and gentleness this deserved. You said it well, that your journey will continue, marked both by brokenness and healing, and no matter what, the Lord is with you. Thank you for sharing your journey through all of the pain. I, too, am still praying for a miracle for your little Gracie, but also praying for your strength and that you may be able to cry out to God, knowing He loves you and grieves with you. He is in control, but for whatever reason, He is allowing you to walk this road of suffering. I pray you will know Him more through it. I hope that even though you don't understand why this is happening, that God would give you the grace to process it all and surrender it to Him. I will pray, too, that you will have some precious time with Gracie when she is born. Please, please, please, let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

Jenny for all the Martins

Anonymous said...

Benji & Bekah, We love you and are praying for you. That verse (Lamentations 3:21-23) is such a great one to cling to. I'm sure you don't feel very strong right now but God is strong in you, giving you wisdom and grace to endure these trials.
Love, Sarah & Jared

Sarah said...

You continue to be in our prayers. With tears and much love,
Bill and Sarah

Julie said...

I'm a friend of Chad and Jada's from St. Louis. I found out about your "situation" (such an insuffient word, but couldn't think of a better one, sorry) and wanted to let you know that I am praying for you, your family, and your sweet baby, that God would hold you in the palm of His hand and that you would feel the peace that's beyond all understanding...

Julie Bauer

Tracy said...

I'm a friend of Ginny Moore, and I've been keeping up with your blog for the past few months.

Your faith in God is inspiring, and I pray that He will sustain you as you continue to walk in faith.

Anonymous said...

You are loved with an everlasting, relentless love ... by Him and your brothers and sisters in Christ. We, too, pray with heavy hearts asking God to keep on reflecting His glory through your family. I/we love you.

Tony Gomillion

Carla said...

I just came across your blog and I am so sorry you are on this road of uncertainties and grief. We lost our baby to trisomy 18 and I remember so clearly that time of drs. appointments of hoping, fearing, hoping, dispair and trying to find some sort of peace in the chaos. My heart goes out to you and your precious family. Gracie is a precious gift from God regardless of how many days on this earth she will live. I will be praying for a miracle for you and for peace to recieve that miracle in whatever way it is given.

Anonymous said...

Bek,as I read this I am so amazed at God's work in your life. I know(no I don't know)that your heart is broken but it is so clear that God is the rock on which you stand and that He is walking with you every step. His grace is so evident in your lives.I know that ultimately your healing will only come through Him but know that so many care and are praying. I love you sweet girl and I wish you didn't have to face all of this. Joy will come again because His promises are true.

Anonymous said...

Rebekah & Benji,
Words just won't come as I read this. My heart is so heavy for all of you. I will continue praying for you and remembering that ALL things come from God. I know that He will strengthen & guide you because He has shown Himself to do that in your lives many times. I know many difficult days are ahead and you will be bathed in prayer by SO MANY friends, and people you don't even know. I love ya'll and will be praying much.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Just stopping by this evening to let you know I am praying for Gracie and for you. I will continue for as long as you need prayers.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Bek and Benji,
My heart is so heavy for you and yet so encouraged by your faith and openess. You are both such an inspiration. God will use this forever in your lives and the lives of those you touch. Praying for healing and wisdom and mercy.
Love to all 4 of you,
Leigh Smith

mandy said...

i know we don't know one another but we have a common friend, laurie vinson. laurie and chad were there with us on a similar road six years ago this march. my heart aches for you and for what may be ahead. i will join you in praying for gracie's complete healing here on earth. i will also pray that if God so chooses to take her home that your time with her will be wrapped in comfort and peace.

i also wanted to share with you something i wish i had known on the day our son was born. there is an organization called Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep that is made up of professional photographers who donate their time and talent to come into the hospital and do a portrait session with families who have or who might face the death of their child. it is free to you and what they capture is very special. if you are interested then i would recommend finding them online and they can connect your hospital with a photographer in your area.

i am on my knees for you and your husband and both baby girls regularly. God's peace be yours. ~mandy

Anonymous said...

Benji and Rebekah(and sweet little Caroline),

I cant help but hurt for you two as you are going through this. I pray for you guys daily and I pray for little Gracie that God's will be done..You are both such a great example of Christian parents and you are both such an inspiration to me and many others!!! I wish there was something I could do for you and your family and hope that you continue to trust in the Lord and have faith that God has a plan for Gracie that is bigger than anything we can understand...I can only imagine the day, when you will get to spend eternity in Heaven with your sweet baby girl...The best part about it...She will be preparing a place for you guys and will be waiting for you when you get there...If she is anything like Rebekah, she may be running the place by the time you get there...haha...

I started coming to your blog in order to keep up with you two and find out what all is going on in your lives...Now, I come here not only to keep up with you guys, but to find inspiration in your words and your unbelievable faith in HIM...I am so so proud of the beautiful young family you have become...You guys bless me more than you know...

I love you guys...you are always in my thoughts and prayers...

Andy Smith

H said...

I just saw this and it brought tears to my eyes. I continue to pray for strength and grace in your lives.

Heidi Christenson