Monday, January 5, 2009

Gracie Update

Today we had another ultrasound for Gracie. Benji and I were fearful going in because at our last visit Gracie was not growing and the doctor was really concerned with some defects he found with her heart. So, we walked into today's appointment not really knowing what to expect.

At our last ultrasound (which was right before Christmas) Gracie was only weighing 15 oz. Today she was a whopping 1 lb. 15oz. She GAINED a whole pound. We were thrilled to see that she had gained weight and that was a huge answer to prayer. He also spent a lot of time looking at her heart again. After close observation he does not think that Gracie has a valve defect. At our last visit he thought she was missing a valve in the upper region of her heart. But, today he believes that she only has a small hole in her heart which he said is one of the minor heart defects that she could have. This was also a huge answer to prayer.

Benji and I walked away from the appointment really encouraged. Of course the doctor's prognosis for Gracie is still fatal but we'll take whatever progress we can get. We have been specifically praying for these two things so we have to acknowledge the Lords hand in all of this. There are no coincidences. We are still praying for a complete healing for Gracie and ask that you continue to do the same. Our God is perfectly capable and definitely powerful enough to do so.

9 comments:

Karen said...

I am absolutely covered in chills reading this for the third time...God is so good and so gracious!!!!!

I am praising Him right this moment for the amazing things He is already doing through Gracie!!

Keep growing Gracie, you little miracle-fighter, we love you so much!!!!

Heather Anderson said...

I am a friend of Julie May's and I met you at Molly's birthday party. I have been following your blog and praying for your family. That is wonderful news. I am keeping you and Gracie in my prayers.

Ginny said...

I can't believe this, I am SO THRILLED and encouraged by what God is doing!!! Praise Him! I don't know if your doctor said this but tons of babies are born with holes in their hearts and they almost always heal up on their own. I had one and had surgery to close it at 6 yrs old. If that had been all that was wrong with my heart, I would have no heart prbs today. :) That's a minor problem. WOW!!!!! And I'm so glad to hear how much weight she's gained. God is sooo good! We're celebrating with you and still praying for Gracie and you guys every day. Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Leslie Rickman told me about you all. I want you to know that I am lifting you up and am going to be among the many who are asking our Lord to heal sweet Gracie. Be confident that you are the parents that God has picked for this sweet little girl. We had a Tri 13 son 10 yrs ago. We are so very grateful for the time that we had with him and look forward to eternity with him one day. I believe with you that Our Heavenly Father can heal Gracie. I pray that you all see tangible ways that her life and your lives are glorifying Him.I pray that people are drawn to our Lord through all of this. God knew Gracie before He formed her in your womb. He has plans for her life. I will check back often and expectantly.
Love,
MaryLawson Day

Jacob Holmes, Mandy Holmes & Christian Holmes said...

Wow... amazing. We're still praying fervently.
love you!
Mandy

Ashley said...

Hi Rebekah,

I happened upon your blog (I'm from Jackson too and think we may have even gone to Chrysalis together??) and wanted to share with you the blog of another Christian family who had a baby girl with Trisomy 18.
conorbootheandgirls.blogspot.com
Their daughter was born in September of 2007 (so you may want to read posts prior to that). The mother is a very powerful writer with a faith that is amazing to me. I'm keeping your family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

This is great news!!! I saw Benji at church yesterday and thought I would contact you since he seemed chipper. We are still praying for more miracles and for all of you including precious Caroline.
~LeEtta

Anonymous said...

This is great news!!! I saw Benji at church yesterday and thought I would contact you since he seemed chipper. We are still praying for more miracles and for all of you including precious Caroline.
~LeEtta

Anonymous said...

Awesome and exciting news!! God is at work and you can see that!! We continue to pray for you, Benji, Caroline & Gracie daily!!!

Love,
Julie & Charlie