Saturday, February 7, 2009

Gracie Butler Baker

Dear Friends,

Gracie Butler Baker went home to be with Jesus last night around 6:00pm. The labor process proved to be too stressful and she was stillborn. So even though we didn’t get to meet our sweet little girl alive, we got to love and hold her for hours on end. She was absolutely precious and our time with her will never be forgotten. Thank you for you intercession of prayers on our behalf. We will blog later this evening about our time with her and we also will have some pictures to share.
In Him,
Benji and Rebekah

63 comments:

michelle said...

I'm so sorry. I am praying for your family today and in the days to come. May God's love and peace surround you.

Jennifer said...

Praying for you all

Laurie in Ca. said...

My heart hurts for you both and your family this morning. I am so sorry for all of this happening to you and will continue to lift you up in prayer. May you feel Gods peace all around you.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Anonymous said...

My heart is heavy. I love you guys and I know Gracie is being tightly held in Jesus' arms.
Leigh Smith

Anonymous said...

Gracie went straight into the arms of Jesus...who in turn put her into the arms of Randall...What a great reunion that will be one day when we all get to heaven....

A longtime friend who dearly loves the Butler/Baker families

Kathleen said...

I found you through Angie's blog and have been praying for you. My heart hurts for you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Benji, Rebekah and Caroline,
My husband was in seminary with Chad and I found your blog through theirs. Please know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be as you grieve the loss of your sweet baby. I have shared this prayer request with my women's Bible study group. I hope it encourages your hearts to know that you have friends in New Mexico praying for you.
Nicole Tebbano

The Currin's from Jackson said...

Benji and Rebekah,

I have never lost a child, so I can't imagine how it would feel or what you are feeling at this moment. I have lost my mother and father and a brother. I thought about your latest blog. If it is any comfort to you both, just know that now Randall has a grandaughter in heaven with him. And, I am sure, as little as she was, his arms were there for her when she arrived. We love you guys! The Currin's

Anonymous said...

Benji, Rebekah and Caroline,

I am so, so sorry for the loss of your sweet Gracie. I am praying that God will wrap His ever-loving arms around you and not let go. I am just heartbroken for you, and will be on my knees ...

In Him,
Lisa
Louisville, KY

Corrie said...

Dear Benji & Rebekah,
Joel and I have prayed for you many times over the past few weeks. I am thankful that you were able to hold your sweet baby girl, but sad also that I and others who love her will have to wait until we get to heaven.

Corrie Holcombe

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Praying for healing for your hearts.

Anonymous said...

Many prayers being lifted up in sweet Gracie's name. May God bless you and heal you during this time.

Kristin

Anonymous said...

Many prayers being lifted up in sweet Gracie's name. May God bless you and heal you during this time.

Kristin

Anonymous said...

Many prayers being lifted up in sweet Gracie's name. May God bless you and heal you during this time.

Kristin

Tristan said...

My heart breaks for your family. Praying for ya'll.

Angie Smith said...

i know there are a thousand things i could say to you right now, and i know because i have heard them myself.

instead, i will just say that i am broken for your family, and you are in my prayers....more than you could know.

please know that i am here for you in any way that you feel may be helpful. even if you just want someone who understands to sit on the other side of the phone and listed to you cry.

i am so, so sorry.

with much love and profound sadness,
angie smith
angelac519@gmail.com

www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know we have been praying for you and will continue on in the days ahead. What a sweet picture of Gracie in Jesus' arms with a watchful Grandad Randall right there too. Praying peace and healing and comfort and joy for you as the God of all wisdom and peace cradles you close.
Love, Stephanie and Rob Ousley

Jason and Vanessa said...

Benji and Rebekah,
Words could never express how sorry I am for your loss. I'm so thankful that yall got to spend time with your sweet baby. I will continue to be praying for you guys.

“Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.” Job1:21

Brittanie said...

I just wanted to give you my love and prayers. My Cora was stillborn nearly 3 years ago, and I know the terrible heartbreak that it causes. I pray that Jesus gives you the peace and strength that I have been given.

Anonymous said...

Rebekah and Benji,

I am so heartbroken for you both...I am praying for you and your families...

A great thought that I have been thinking about the past two days:

Rebekah, your father is up there in Heaven with Gracie right now...I can see him rocking her, loving her, and giving her all the hugs and kisses that you, Benji, and the rest of your family would be giving her right now. What a comforting thought that your dad is with her and he will protect her and love her til you see her yourself one day!!! I can see him now loving on his newest grandbaby, Gracie!!!! What a great thought...knowing your pops is up there with her now...knowing that he will walk hand in hand with her in Heaven...teaching her all he taught you...teaching her the ropes of Heaven!!! I cant help but feel better knowing he is with her...

I love you guys and continue praying for you everyday...

Andy Smith

Anonymous said...

Rebekah and Benji,

I am so heartbroken for you both...I am praying for you and your families...

A great thought that I have been thinking about the past two days:

Rebekah, your father is up there in Heaven with Gracie right now...I can see him rocking her, loving her, and giving her all the hugs and kisses that you, Benji, and the rest of your family would be giving her right now. What a comforting thought that your dad is with her and he will protect her and love her til you see her yourself one day!!! I can see him now loving on his newest grandbaby, Gracie!!!! What a great thought...knowing your pops is up there with her now...knowing that he will walk hand in hand with her in Heaven...teaching her all he taught you...teaching her the ropes of Heaven!!! I cant help but feel better knowing he is with her...

I love you guys and continue praying for you everyday...

Andy Smith

Carol Dunton said...

My prayers and sorrows for the passing of your beautiful daughter, Gracie. She sits with God fully formed, healthy and protected by Him now. I am praying that God takes care of all of you...brings you peace to your hurting hearts, health to your weary bodies and comfort to your tears.
VB

Alicia Beth said...

Rebekah,it might be a little bit before you read these but know I'm praying for your recovery both physically and emotionally.Also lifting up Benji and Caroline.Of course I can't even begin to understand all that you've been through so I won't say "I understand",etc.Really,there are just no words :( I will say that what we have in common is our God.You and Benji have shown such amazing faith during this whole process.I know God has you in His grip just as He has Gracie and your dad.I hadn't thought about it but noticed others' comments about Randall.I LOVED LOVED LOVED the image of him holding his precious Gracie :)I can see the smile on his face now.As you had to learn early in life,God does work all things for good for those who are called according to His purpose.God knew this was a burden you and Benji could handle.The Word tells us He doesn't give us anything we can't bear.So,He saw your hearts and your strength.What a great testimony !!!
Praying that God will be ABBA,Comforter,Sustainer,Redeemer,Friend,
etc. Whatever you need from Him may He provide !!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss, the pain and sorrow it must bring. Although, I don't know you personally; I feel the sorrow for you and also some peace by reading about your gift to both of your fathers in heaven. May the thought of that gift help to comfort you. I pray for you peace and strength.

Mechelle Dyer
(step-daughter to Tina Weise Cantrell)

Anonymous said...

After having a stillbirth in 2001 I am truely so sorry for your loss. I will be praying for your family.
Praying that Jesus will fill your aching arms with his love!

Praying in Washington,
Maureen

Jenna said...

I will be praying for your family. I am just so sorry.

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry for your loss and our love and prayers go out to you all. We know that our Father is in control and holds baby Gracie in His loving arms. Don't forget how much our Lord loves you and grieves with you right now. We will continue to lift you all up in the weeks and months to come.

We love you,
Tommy, Nancy, Rebecca, and Zachary

Kolby said...

We love you and you are in our thoughts and prayers.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. -Romans 8:38-39

Crazy May Days said...

Baker family,

Our hearts are so saddened by the loss of Gracie but we know what a treasured reunion Gracie had as she was welcomed home. We are here for support sweet friends. May loving prayers of healing wash over you... and yummy food (which we will be sending in excess!!!) fill your tummies.

Rebekah, I know that you both have such supportive families but know that we would love to help you guys in any way we can --- even if it is way down the road...

Can't wait to see pictures of your precious baby girl...

The May Family

Teresa said...

Benji,
I have been praying for you, Rebekah, Caroline and Baby Gracie daily. My heart aches for you. I hope it is some comfort in knowing that your precious angel is now in the arms of JESUS. I will continue to pray for you all . . . I will pray for peace, comfort and understanding through the days ahead. From reading your blog I know how much faith you have in GOD and that is what will sustain you.

Love & Peace,
Teresa Bledsoe Kee
(Rex's first cousin)

p.s. A HUGE thanks for updating your blog during this most difficult time.

Christy said...

praying for all of you during this terrible time. May God hold you close to Him while you mourn the loss of Baby Gracie.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for your family during this very difficult time in your lives.

Lauren

Wynne Family said...

Thinking of you all and am praying that the Lord will hold you up in the coming days and months. May God bless your precious family through this trial.

SometimesSheWhispers said...

I am so sorry that Gracie was not healed here on earth. God bless your family, especially during such a difficult time.

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

I'm so sorry. You have been in my thoughts and prayers all day long and we will be praying for you over the days and weeks ahead. I know there are no words that can make things right, so all I will say is that my heart is aching for you right now, and please know that your little darling has made such a big impression on the world, even though her time here was so fleeting. Her name is known across the globe, and she'll never be forgotten. With love to you all from across the pond. XXX

Hailey said...

Praying in NC.

Michelle said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I just happened upon your story and have been thinking about your family and Baby Gracie ever since. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Your faith has really touched me and I pray that it continues to carry you through these most difficult of times.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for each of you.
God is Good. He will take care of you.
Love you,

Anonymous said...

Rebekah, you and your family have really been on my heart and in my prayers. I do not have many words to say about how sorry I am for your loss. Like Andy, I could not help but think that baby Gracie is in heaven with your daddy, Randall, and of course with our Heavenly Father. I know she will be missed, but she is loved so much. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Blessings,
Jennifer Reynolds Cavitt

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I've never met you but stumbled on your blog and want you to know that I'll be praying for you.

Laura said...

Praying for you...

Jonathan and Holly said...

Your family has been such a beautiful picture of God's love and faithfulness through these hard times. I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that God will heal your hearts and renew your spirits just as Gracie is healed and renewed in His Presence now. We love you.
Holly and Jonathan

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Rebekah-
My heart breaks. They seem so futile, but I will continue to pray.

Much love-
Ashley Elizabeth

KJA said...

I am so sorry for your loss, even though temporary, it's very painful. I wish I had the ability to ease your pain so instead I pray to Jesus to intercede on my behalf. There are no words .......
With much love,

Thinking of your family in St. Louis

we are the spencers said...

praying for you all.

Unknown said...

I came over here from Angie Smith's blog. I wept for your daughter last night, praying for a miracle. I am so sorry for your loss. I will continue to pray for your family.

Millicent said...

praying

Tina said...

Dear Baker Family,
I've been praying for you - my heart has been aching as so many are and have been... Grandma Dolly shared the sad news with me late last year and then I got back to reading your blog - your beautiful mother had shared the web address with me to keep up with the births of sweet Caroline and John Randall - and it was purely delightful reading. Gracie's story is so completely different but perhaps an even more important one... her reason for being has a purpose... Thank you for sharing it through your pain as your living testimony will bless so many others. I know in my mind and sad heart God has heard all our prayers and answered - His will has been done.
I will continue to lift you up to receive God's healing grace...
Peace, Tina Wiese Cantrell

Leslie Dominie said...

You don't know me, but I'm friends of Julie and Kelly May. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

juliemreeser said...

Sarah Bambach passed your prayer requests for Gracie along to me the past few months and I have been praying for you. Yesterday, my Bible study group and other friends were also praying for you. I am very sorry for your loss and will continue to pray for you as you grieve.

Anonymous said...

Benji, Rebekah, and Caroline...

My heart is broken thinking about what you have gone through. I am so, so sorry.

Evlyn Joyce

Courtney said...

Thinking of you and praying for comfort, strength, and peace. God Bless your family.

Ginny said...

We are praying for you all.

Love, Michael & Ginny

jwm said...

I've been praying for you all and will continue to do so as you grieve and contemplate this hole in your heart that God will fill with Himself. I want to bring a meal to you (not this week since I'm not home), but sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'm so sorry and words cannot adequately express the sadness I feel for you, but I thank God that He is your strength and peace through this time.

Jenny

Bethany said...

Your family is in my prayers. I cannot imagine the pain that you are feeling. I am so grateful the God we pray to does. I pray He will comfort you with His arms. I love the verses in Isaiah 66 where God speaks of dandling those who have hurt on His knee. Your Gracie is there. As one who remains here with you, I will life you in my prayers to the One who holds your daughter.

kileyle said...

I pray that He will give you a peace that passes all understanding. I am praying for your family.
Kiley Wood Doyle

Patrick Lafferty said...

This world is empty of Gracie. I long for the day we will be reunited with her and our Bella. I adapted the following from an Alison Krauss song entitled "Jacob's Dream". It has soothed my aching heart as I long for the day that I will be joined to Christ and hold her again. You will see her again. I know you long to see her now. Your empty arms are empty indeed. Look to the One who holds her. If you do not run from Him, you will find what you need in His loving arms. Do not run away.

"Oh, Mommy and Daddy, look past the tears you cry,
I am up in Heaven, God is by my side.
And as you lay me down to rest in the presence of the Lord,
know that I will meet you here at Heaven's door."

I love you and your family. It was an honor to take your daughter's portrait. She is so beautiful. It meant so much to me that you let me hold her precious body before she was laid to rest in the presence of our Lord. That body will rise again. That is our hope. Apart from that, we have nothing to which to cling.

Love,
Christy Lafferty (Gracie's photographer and big fan)

you can google "Jacob's Dream" to read and hear all the lyrics. It has comforted us both in our grief.

Anonymous said...

Your faith has been never failing! I don't even know what to say but that our hearts break with you and we are in prayer for you all! Love you all!

Jonathan, Jennifer, and Elijah

Summer said...

My prayers are with you and your family.

Megan said...

Praying for you all. God, please hold this family in Your strong arms, that they may know You are there at all times. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen

Anonymous said...

sweet rebekah, praying for your precious family. we love yall....caroline hogan

hbeary said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I take great comfort in knowing Gracie is enveloped in HIS loving arms. Although this doesn't relieve the agony you are going through, I hope it gives you a sense of peace. My sympathies go out to you...

Shannie-Lu said...

I just found your blog right before you had Grace. I anxiously checked your blog for updates, hoping against hope that she would be born whole and well and you would be able to take her home with you. I am so sorry that the prayers I prayed weren't answered in the way I had hoped...

My husband and I lost my first son. He was stillborn at 23 weeks. We lost our second pregnancy (at triplet pregnancy) because they were born prematurely. I look back on that time and am so thankful that I took the time to know my children. While the memories are hard to think about (even now), they are so, so precious.

May you find peace and joy in the moments you had together, knowing that God was in the midst of them...even if it's hard to see Him there. If you need anything, anything at all, you let me know. I have walked your path (and still do today).

Shannon
crosse@tazman.net