Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bed Rest

Today I went in for a routine OB visit fully expecting to listen to Gracie's heartbeat and then take sweet Caroline to the park to play with her friends. However, because of some really high blood pressure, I was admitted to triage where they monitored me and did some blood work. Then I was sent over to have an ultrasound. Then I was sent back to triage for more monitoring. Turns out that I have mild pre-eclampsia. My blood pressure went down once I laid on my side so that is why they have put me on bed rest. I go back on Friday morning for more testing so I guess we'll just go from there. My doctors have said that if my blood pressure continues to get higher they will have to induce me or do an emergnecy Csection(depending on how urget it is) because once your blood pressure gets to high then I am at risk of injury.
The sonogram for Gracie went okay. Her heartbeat was strong but he did say that her heart looked a little dialated and that he could see a little fluid buidling up on her heart. He said that is a slight indication that something could be going wrong. The amniotic fluid that was 2.7 last Tuesday in now down to 1.6. That, obviously isn't a very good sign. Benji and I really feel that our time with Gracie will probably be limited to a couple of more weeks unless they have to induce me for blood pressure reasons. We just don't know how much longer she can survive in such little fluid. We are somewhat discouraged because we want so much for her to be born alive so we can have just those few moments with her. But, we walk by faith knowing that God's timing is perfect and He will take her when it's just the right time. Only God knows what we can handle and maybe Gracie being born alive isn't something we can handle. Watching her slowly die might just be an unberable burden so we trust and know that the Lord will do what He knows is best. Fear set in today as I considered that I might not get to leave the hospital and that they could possibly induce me. I just kept telling myself that I wasn't ready, but will I ever be ready? The answer is no......
Please pray for us. We are definitely reaching the end and it's terrifying. However, we know we are not alone. We know, confidently, that God has walked us through this so far and we know that He will continue to walk with us and even before us. I am so thankful that we have a God that loves us so much.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, sweet Bek, God is with you and He will never leave you. The fear of the unknown, especially in this situation, truly must be terrifying. I continue to hurt for you, just as I continue to pray. You know, without a doubt, that God is in control and that He will bring you through this. It doesn't make it easier though. As you rest, I pray that you will feel and treasure every movement Gracie makes. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Rebekah and Benji-
Lori and I will continue to pray for you both. I have never been on your blog until today. I guess I still see you two as little youth kids. haha. You guys have grown up a little. Your faith, love and peace in this time is AMAZING. You two are truly inspiring to others going through difficult times. God is good all the time and it is sometimes hard to accept or feel that. I will pray that our Heavenly Father continues to hold and protect all four of you in His Hands. By the way, Caroline is a doll. She looks just like Rebekah. WOW! Benji, you better get ready to fend off the guys.
Bradley Smith

Mandy said...

Hey Benji & Rebekah,
You're constantly on our minds and hearts, and we are praying for you. We love you.
Jacob & Mandy

laurie said...

My heart is sad for you all tonight as you are having to face more fears. We love you guys and are praying that God will sustain you one day at a time. That is all any of us have, and I believe your family is walking in His grip moment by moment. We love you guys!!!

Laurie and the gang

Anonymous said...

My heart is hurting for you and Benji tonight...I can usually find words to write that I feel may offer some encouragement..but tonight..I think I will just say that I love you guys...the Smith Family loves you guys...We are all thinking about and praying for you daily...esp tonight as you have gotten this news..

Love you guys...

Andy Smith

Crazy May Days said...

Rebekah,

All day long I kept reaching for the phone to call you and say hello. It was so weird. I just couldn't get you out of my mind. I am now wishing that I had called- even though you were too busy in triage to get to it. It is very safe to say that I have been thinking of you and sending positive love your direction all day.

So... bed rest. What does your help look like? Miss Caroline up for some fun play time with the May children? We're healthy! Let me know and we can come and pick her up...I promise we can keep your gal busy!

I'll call sometime tomorrow---don't answer if you are resting!

Kathy said...

Hi. I am a friend of Jada and Chad and Bradley and the whole gang. I have been praying for you guys and pray that God will bring you through this with a peace that only he can provide. Just know that people are praying for you that you may not even know. In His grip -

Kathy Yarbrough Giovanetti

Clagger said...

Praying for God's protection and care over your sweet family. He holds you in the palm of His hand.

Love you.
Hayley Maples Clagg

Do you not know?Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.He will not grow tired or weary,and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary,and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.They will soar on wings like eagles;they will run and not grow weary,they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31

Laurie in Ca. said...

Reading this breaks my heart for you. I am so sorry that there is so much uncertainty for your hearts to bear. I am praying for the Lord to lift your fear and replace it with His peace. I will continue to pray for you and for precious Gracie.

"Along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."
Isaiah 42:16

Love and Prayers, Laurie

The Currin's from Jackson said...

Rebekah:

I just read your blog and my heart just tore open for you. I am so sorry all this is happening and so, so fast. I am grateful you were able to go home and be in your own home and bed for now. My prayer is that our good Father will continue to keep you and Benji strong - holding onto His word and knowing His hand is over all of this. I will life you up in prayer all throughout the day and also will lift up Gracie throughout the day. God Bless!
Sandy Currin

Noelle Money said...

Rebeka and Benji
I've been keeping up with everything through Mandy and your blog. I was so heart broken to hear about everything and am praying for you all daily. God does know how much we can handle and gives us what we need to get through...to survive...each day. I cannot imagine the anxiety you all are feeling or the worry or any of it, but God will carry you all through this time! None of us ever know what His master plan is and what will come from the situations we are given. Only God knows...continue to trust in Him and have faith.

Noelle Money

Anonymous said...

We love you and our continuing to pray for you!!

Love,
Julie & Charlie

Mariellen said...

Rebekah, I saw where Julie was praying for you and your family and read your blog. Not sure if you remember me or not from music camp days and mtsu but please know I am praying for you all. My best friend from graduate school knows this family who started this great organization because of their experience with their son and Trisomy 18. http://www.ninetynineballoons.com/ It is so touching and I hope it can bring you some kind of comfort during this time.

Anonymous said...

We are praying for your family and trusting in God to provide in your time of need. We love you all.

Anonymous said...

We are praying God's grace and comfort for all of you.

In Christ,

Don and Sharon Geiger

Anonymous said...

Dear Rebekah,

I just heard of your precious Gracie a few minutes ago and wanted you to know that you, your husband, and your family are in my heart tonight. I'm sure ya'll will be comforted by your friends at Antioch Church. Some of the finest people I have ever known are members there, so I know that God and His people will take exceptional care of you... now and always.

Much care...beth jones